Call Us Now Free Consultation
toll free 866-207-9823
local 804-554-0351
Acknowledged As Leaders In The Law
The National Trial Lawyers - Top 100 Trial Lawyers Million Dollar Advocates Forum AV - AV preeminent Martindale Hubbell Lawyer Ratings Super Lawyers

Common questions about injuries in public places

When you are injured in a public space such as a park or a sidewalk, you may be confused about who is to blame. Serious injuries can occur in the form of falling objects and badly maintained roads.

The injuries that you suffer can have the potential to cause you a great deal of physical and emotional pain, and therefore, you are likely to want to claim damages against the liable person. The following are some commonly asked questions about liability:

If I trip and fall on a broken or damaged sidewalk, can I make a claim against the town or city?

This will depend entirely on the town or city that you were injured in; however, many local governments have immunity from claims such as these. Towns and cities always have the duty to keep sidewalks safe.

If I was walking on a sidewalk and I trip and injure myself on debris from a nearby construction site, who is liable?

The construction site has a certain responsibility to exercise safety at all times. This means that they should have sound procedures in place to prevent any debris from falling onto public spaces. They also have the duty to remove any debris as soon as they are made aware that it has occurred. Therefore, it could be possible to make a negligence claim against the construction company for your injuries.

If you have been injured in a public space such as a sidewalk, it is important that you take your time to understand how the law applies to your particular situation.

Source: FindLaw, "Premises Liability FAQs," accessed March 16, 2018

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information